Chippendale Period Mahogany Metamorphic Library Stool/Steps

£7,250.00

Circa 1760

A George III Mahogany Metamorphic Library Stool/Steps, the rectangular, hinged, upholstered top rising to reveal a set of 4 steps. The whole is raised on square section legs. This piece bears a vendor’s label for Geo Dobson & Son, 33 Cookridge St. Leeds.

Height Closed: 20.5”, 52 cms / Height Open: 43”, 109 cms / Width: 30”, 76 cms / Depth: 18”, 46 cms

No: 411U

A George III Mahogany Metamorphic Library Stool/Steps, the rectangular, hinged, upholstered top rising to reveal a set of 4 steps. The whole is raised on square section legs. This piece bears  a vendor’s label for Geo Dobson & Son, 33 Cookridge St. Leeds.

Circa 1760

Price: £7,250-00p.

Height Closed: 20.5”, 52 cms / Height Open: 43”, 109 cms / Width: 30”, 76 cms / Depth: 18”, 46 cms

Provenance: Dobson & Son were antique furniture dealers in Leeds circa 1910.

Thence to Hooton Pagnell Hall, sold to J Butterworth 2015.

The history of Hooton Pagnell Hall stretches back to the Norman Conquest. The first mention of it is in the Domesday Book as ‘Hotone’ meaning ‘the house or township on the hill’. The earliest part of the present house dates from the 13th century. The first known Lord was Edwin, Earl of Mercia, brother-in-law of King Harold.  Harold famously met his demise at the Battle of Hastings fighting William the Conqueror. Afterwards in 1071, ownership of the house was passed to Sir Ralph de Paganell, a Norman knight who added his name to his new acquisition.

Later the property passed via one of Ralph de Paganell’s great granddaughters, Frethesante, who married Geoffrey Luttrell. His coat of arms remains today on the ceiling of the medieval arch.  Luttrell is most widely known for his commissioning of the Luttrell Psalter, one of the most originally illuminated manuscripts of the Middle Ages. We now know the only remaining copy of this is in the British Library in London. Two hundred years later in the 14th century, Sir Geoffrey Luttrell became a prominent member of the Knights Templar. His position reputedly allowed him to leave money and jewellery to the great ecclesiastical centres at Canterbury, Lincoln, Southwell and York. Although Hooton Pagnell remained with the Luttrells until 1406, it changed ownership through marriage various times. Later it became the property of the Crown during the reign of Richard III.

In 1681 the Hall became the home of Sir Patience Warde, an early Whig Politician, merchant and the former Lord Mayor of London. He began the restoration of the Hall, a task which his heir and nephew continued. The property acquired by Sir Patience was merely the nucleus of the present estate, which was enlarged by following generations. The Hall was subsequently extensively restored and extended in Georgian and Victorian times. It was in the early 18th century that the gabled windows were removed from the back of the house and replaced with sash windows. Significant changes to the interior in the 19th century included the paneling to the walls and the grand staircase. This is a fine late 17th century staircase believed to have been purchased from Palace Yard House in Coventry.

The most recent and notable changes to the Hall’s appearance were instructed by Julia Warde-Aldam who carried out substantial re-modeling of the Hall in the late 19th and early 20th century. What had become an essentially Georgian house was re-Gothicised to the front and given extensive crenellations. Hooton Pagnell is Majestically situated on a rise some 80 metres above sea level. The Hall overlooks the sweeping South Yorkshire countryside.

Delivery in the UK mainland is included in the marked price.

Pin It on Pinterest