Engraving of Southwick in the County of Southampton by Johannes Kip
An Early 18th Century Engraving of Southwick in the County of Southampton, the seat of Richard Norton Esq, by Johannes Kip
Height: 20”, 51 cms / Width: 25”, 63.5 cms
A good Early 18th Century Engraving of Southwick in the County of Southampton, the seat of Richard Norton Esq, by Johannes Kip.
Height: 20”, 51 cms / Width: 25”, 63.5 cms
Richard Norton of Southwick Park (19 November 1615 – May 1691), was an English landowner and politician who sat in the House of Commons at various times between 1645 and 1691. He was a colonel in the parliamentary army in the English Civil War and for a time he commanded the Parliamentary forces besieging Basing House. He was Governor of Portsmouth for Parliament during the Civil War and for Charles II after the Restoration.
Norton was the son of Sir Daniel Norton of Southwick and his wife Honor White daughter of Sir John White of Southwick. The Norton family had settled long before at Alresford, Nutley, East Tisted, Southwick, near Portsmouth, and Rotherfield. His ancestor and namesake had been knighted at Basing House by Queen Elizabeth I.
Norton lived at the Manor House of Old Alresford when he was a young man.
He was Parliamentary Colonel during the Civil War. In January 1643 he led a force which garrisoned Warblington Castle. The castle soon fell when a Royalist force under Lord Hopton laid siege to it although Norton managed to escape. He was appointed Sheriff of Hampshire for 1643–44 by Parliament (Sir Humphrey Bennet had already been appointed by the Crown).
Norton is said to have distinguished himself in the Battle of Cheriton by bringing up a body of horse through by-ways, from his hunting knowledge of the country, to charge the rear of the enemy. He served under the Earl of Manchester, was a fellow Colonel with Cromwell in the Eastern Association. Oliver Cromwell was on familiar and intimate terms with him, addresses letters to him thus: “For my noble Friend, Colonel Richard Norton. These,” and commences “Dear Dick.” and distinguishing him in letters to his private friends by the appellation of “Idle Dick Norton”.
Clarendon says that the besiegers of Basing House were “united in this service under the command of Norton, a man of spirit and of the greatest fortune of all the rest” and speaks of “the known courage of Norton.” Mercurius Aulicus styles him “the great incendiary of Hampshire.”
In April 1647, Norton was, for the second time, appointed Governor of Portsmouth for which he was to receive 12s. per day, with an additional 8s per day as Captain of Southsea Castle. In 1653 he sat in the Barebones Parliament, and was elected a member of the Council of State in the same year. Carlyle says of him, “Given to Presbyterian notions; was purged out by Pride; came back, dwindled ultimately into Royalism.” He was re-elected MP for Hampshire in 1654 for the First Protectorate Parliament and in 1656 for the Second Protectorate Parliament.
In 1660, he was elected MP for Hampshire again in the Convention Parliament which invited Charles II to return to his kingdom, and immediately upon the restoration Colonel Norton was once more appointed “Captain of the Town, Isle and Castle of Portsmouth”. He was elected MP for Portsmouth in the Cavalier Parliament.
He was returned for Hampshire again, in 1679, for the First Exclusion Parliament and for Portsmouth again in the Second Exclusion Parliament. He was re-elected MP for Portsmouth in 1681 and 1689 and for Hampshire again, in 1690.
Norton died in 1691. His portrait was destroyed when a Berkshire house was burnt circa 1800.
Johannes Kip (1653 – 1722) was a Dutch draughtsman, engraver, and print dealer who was active in England after producing works for the court of William of Orange in Amsterdam. Following the Glorious Revolution of 1688, Kip accompanied the Court to England and settled in Westminster where he conducted a thriving print selling business from his house in St. John’s Street. He then travelled around England documenting notable estates. In the late 1600s, important houses fronted the public road and were the focus and pride of the local community. The gradually increasing wish for privacy during the 18th century often involved the re-routing of public roads and the shifting of villages. These prints were later used in Johannes Kip’s survey of English castles, palaces and country houses during the reign of Queen Anne entitled “Britannia Illustrata”, or “Views of Several of the Queens Palaces” in 1708, “The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire”, 1712, and the “Principal Seats of the Nobility and Gentry of Great Britain”, also published as “Nouveau Theatre de la Grande Bretagne: ou description exacte des palais de la Reine, et des Maisons les plus considerables des Seigneurs & des Gentilshommes de la Grande Bretagne” in 1715.
Published by Joseph Smith 1709-28 for “Le Nouveau Théâtre de la Grande Bretagne…” A republished and expanded work of “Britannia Illustrata” (1709) or the Illustrata itself by Johannes Kip & Leonard Knyff. Drawn & Engraved by Kip. It was engraved by the Johannes Kip. Size 13.4 x 20.7 inches. 34.0 x 52.5 cm. Leendert Knyff and Johannes Kip were responsible for the publication, in 1707, of “Britannia Illustrata”, an extraordinary collection of engraved ‘birds-eye views’ of English country houses and estates. In the late 1690s Knyff came up with a cunning plan for a ‘subscription publishing project’ which he must have thought would be a financial winner. His idea was to play to the vanity of the British aristocracy, and produce a set of images of English country estates, funding the scheme by signing up the landowners in advance. For his £10 subscription each gentleman would have his house and grounds engraved including his coat of arms as part of the design and ultimately a full set of all the other prints.
Delivery in the UK mainland is included in the marked price.